Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Featuring New Member, David Philips

Name: David Philips
Current City: Dallas, TX
Website: drphilips.net

When and how did you first become seriously interested in art?  There was never a time in my memory when art wasn't omnipresent and important to me. I have several artists in my family's past, so genetics played a big part for me.
What is your training and what medium(s) subject matter do you work in?  Art in school was a given subject for me every year.  It was the degree I graduated from college under and last year, I attended an atelier in London for a week long portrait intensive.  I work in oil primarily, but I love to draw as well.  People have always held a fascination for me, so that always seems to be what I'm working on.
What do you try to express in your work?  I always go for the truth in my work as it applies to whatever or whomever I'm working on.  The subject's core.
What artists/professional have been your biggest influences?  Odd Nerdrum, Lautrec, Klimt, Whistler, Freud, Velasquez, Sorolla.
What do you do to gain new inspiration for your work?  To gain new inspiration, I'll drive to parts of town I've never been to garner a new perspective or change my routine like go to flea markets or curio shops.  Anything to flip my brain off auto pilot.
What would you like to be doing ten years from now Painting portraits.
Do you set goals for yourself concerning the making of your art?  Sure, but I don't adhere to them to rigidly if it's at the expense of the paintings outcome.  Sometimes a break for a day or two from a piece will give you a fresh eye.  It's important not to get a stale feeling about my work.
Are you happy about your job choice as an artist?  No regrets in  being an artist.  Never, never, never!
Any fun or interesting facts you'd like to share?  I'm a little quirky sometimes.  I think that applies to most artist though.
Best piece of advice for other artists?  Know thy self.  You'll save yourself a lot of self doubts about your artistic choices that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment