Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Artist Blurbs & News - Fall 2014

2014 has been a busy and productive year for Texas artists! Our state was represented well at this year's "Art of the Portrait" conference, and those of you who got to attend said that it was a wonderfully inspiring and educational experience - possibly the best conference ever! We are already looking ahead to the next event next April in Atlanta!

Texas artists at the 2014 "Art of the Portrait" conference in
 Reston, VA  (photo credit: Delaram Mowatt)

Teresa Elliott:
"My painting "High Noon" will become part of the National Western Stock Show's permanent collection in Denver, Colorado. This will be in the Coors Western Art Exhibit & Sale, in 2015 where I will be the featured artist. If you are in Denver this coming January (2015), stop by and see my collection of new paintings."

In other news, Teresa had a solo show this past May at Insight Gallery. There were lots of red dots! Congrats to Teresa for all of the recognition!

"High Noon" by Teresa Elliott

Delaram Mowatt:

"Since I left my job as a geophysicist in the oil industry in May 2013, I made several different decisions (1) going back to university for PHD in geophysics and peruse an academic position, (2) changed mind again and decided to go back to oil industry, but after couple of interviews I found my heart is not really there. I travelled to Iran to visit my parents. My dad asked me to imagine what makes me the happiest regardless of income, and I immediately said painting. For now I made a decision to paint paint paint for a year and see if I can be successful. I have ideas for my painting subjects but I'm not sure if they will sell or if a gallery will accept my paintings. I registered ‘Delaram Fine Art’ as a DBA and made a FB page for it and now it is time to spend more time behind my easel.

About the conference 2014: It was the first time I was attending the "Art of the Portrait" conference and I had a magical time being surrounded by so many talented minds and hands and eyes... So different from those boring oil industry related conferences I used to attend!"

Delaram, that is a courageous decision but one you will not regret. Just keep painting as you said! Your fellow portrait artists are cheering you on!

Delaram Mowatt with Michael Shane Neal
at the 2014 "Art of the Portrait" conference

Connie Chadwell:

"Two of my figurative drawings are included in the upcoming book "Strokes of Genius, The Best of Drawing" and one of my ink portraits will be in the next "Art Journey: People" - both books are published by North Light Books." 

"Boxers" by Connie Chadwell

Michael Holter:

"Juror Feeling Lin selected my watercolor, "Prima 2," to receive the Holbein Award from the Southwestern Watercolor Society at the 51st Annual Show. It is a great show with many outstanding paintings. It continued through September 28 at the Eisemann Center for the Performing Arts in Richardson, TX."

"The Veil Has Been Torn," by Michael Holter

In other news, Michael won the Lehmann Memorial Award from the Transparent Watercolor Society for his portrait, "The Veil Has Been Torn", and his painting "The Circle is Unbroken" was included in the National Watercolor Society Annual Member Exhibit in San Pedro, CA.


Michael Holter with his award and
"Prima 2" at the Southwestern
Watercolor Society
51st Annual Show
Upcoming workshops with Michael Holter:

CREATING FIGURATIVE WATERCOLORS FROM PHOTOS
Workshop Dates: 10/21/2014 - 10/23/2014
Location: Plano, TX
Email michael@michaelholter.com

DEMONSTRATION OF WATERCOLOR PORTRAIT PAINTING
Irving Arts Association
Irving Center For the Arts
Irving, TX
10/28/2014

CREATING WATERCOLOR LANDSCAPES FROM PHOTOS
Workshop Dates: 11/18/2014 - 11/20/2014
Location: Plano, TX
Email michael@michaelholter.com

CREATING FIGURATIVE WATERCOLORS FROM PHOTOS
Workshop Dates: 12/1/2014 - 12/3/2014
Location:
Ada, Ok
The Center of Continuing Education
and Community Services,
East Central University
1100 E. 14th, Ada, OK 74820
580-559-5457

CREATING FIGURATIVE WATERCOLORS FROM PHOTOS
Workshop Dates: 1/28/2015 - 1/30/2015
Location: Wenmohs Ranch Workshops (Near Marble Falls, TX)
512-517-3453

Susan Hotard:

I will be teaching 2 portrait workshops this fall in historic New Orleans:

The Garden District Gallery
1332 Washington Ave. ( across the street from famous Commanders Palace restaurant)
New Orleans, Louisiana 70130
504-891-3032
2 day, Saturday/Sunday, 9 to 4
October 18/19
$250
BYOE (bring your own easel)

The New Orleans Academy of Fine Arts
5256 Magazine Street (Magazine St. is known for fun shopping and excellent cusine)
New Orleans, Louisiana 70115
504-899-8111
2 day, Saturday/ Sunday, 9 to 4\
November 15/ 16
$250

New Orleans weather is usually at its best in the fall. Enjoy the sights, historical (hysterical)locale, and fine eating!

Come join us to paint the portrait!

"Rusty," by Susan Hotard

Ann Kraft Walker:

" Jessica " received and Honorable Mention In OPA's Online Showcase

" Memories Of My Grandmother " received Best Still Life in NOAPS Spring Online Exhibition

" Psalm 149:3 Revisited " won The BoldBrush Award in July"

" Jiggy's Birds " is a finalist in Art Renewal Center

" Eileen's Lament " First Place Still Life Member's Only PSoA

Painting in shows: OPA National, OPA Western Division, Salon International, International Guild of Realism, NOAPS Best of America, Richeson 75 Figure/Portrait

"Jessica" by Ann Kraft Walker
"Jiggy's Birds" by Ann Kraft Walker

Steve Ko:
"1. Art show at Luminarte gallery - Texas Artist Show. : a couple of my recent paintings are displayed there
2. I'm currently working on the commission work - Dr. Smatresk, president of UNT"
Website: https://stevekoartstudio.com/

Brenda Hash:

"My pastel painting, "Thoughts of Elberta", won the "Pastel Society of America Award in Memory of Flora B Giffuni" at the PSA's Enduring Brilliance exhibition currently hanging at the National Arts Club in New York. In addition, it was selected from this show to travel to the Butler Institute of American Art to be on view later this year with other selected pastel artwork. An image of the artwork is attached (Thoughts of Elberta, pastel, 24 x 36). This painting was awarded a Certificate of Excellence at this year's Portrait Society of America."

"Thoughts of Elberta," by Brenda Hash

Michael Gillespie:

"I spent the month of August as Artist-in-Residence at a 5-star hotel and resort in Tuscany. While there, I taught a few painting lessons, did a lot of plein air painting, sold a couple of those, and was commissioned to do a small portrait of the child of guests from Sweden (attached). I also spent a few days in Florence where I met and visited with Matthew James Collins, Portrait Instructor at the Charles H. Cecil Academy."

"Buster" by Michael Gillespie


Debra Richardson / Gallery 702:

"There is a new gallery in Austin that just opened, Gallery 702. I am currently exhibiting with them. The link to my work is http://www.gallery702austin.com/portfolio/d-k-richardson/.
The main page for the Gallery 702 is http://www.gallery702austin.com/."

Jeannene Stricklin:

"I am an 82-year-old painter who was never taken the time to become a better painter until now. And it's because an illness has made leaving home difficult so out of boredom I paint. Over a period of 3 years time I can say I'm no longer struggling with drawing values and color mixing. I share this with you for the ones of us who think we will never get better. The secret, guys, is like anything else you have to do over and over again.
Enjoy the process and keep going!"

Jeannene Stricklin shows off some of her work
"Ben" by Jeannene Stricklin


"This pastel was accepted into the Pastel Society of the Southwest national show. Took this picture in France at a Renaissance festival. he was super cute!"

Pastel by Ellen Moore

Chris Brizzard:
"Hi everyone, my name is Chris Brizzard. I started going to Michael Mentler’s studio (TSOFA) in Dallas at the beginning of 2013 and had the privilege of studying with him for a year and a half. It was primarily because of him that I decided to apply to Studio Incamminati in Philadelphia in order to continue my training.

Classes began at the beginning of September and the curriculum is rigorous. In the full-time program (which is 4 years in total), you are basically in the studio from 9-4, Monday through Friday. The first year is called 'boot camp' by many people, and I have the sore feet to prove it. Just a preface that we are not allowed to use any measuring tools other than our eyes and we must always draw using straight lines, no curves.

On Mondays, we have structural drawing, where we analyze the human form and aim to integrate structure, anatomy and form into a unified whole. We are currently studying the torso and will later get into the head and arm/legs by the end of the term.

On Tuesdays, we have been doing copies of various Bargue plates, the purpose being not to render, but to develop accuracy in drawing angles/tilts and getting the correct proportions of the subject at hand.

On Wednesdays and Fridays, we have our figure drawing class, where we have been working on 1-minute gestures for the past three weeks which will soon grow into 5-minute gestures of light/dark masses. By the end of the term we will be getting into 20-minute gestures. This is personally my favorite class because I love the intensity of the 1-minute gestures; you have to respond immediately to what’s in front of you, with little time to think. Sometimes I get in a state of mind where I feel like I’m doing cave paintings, just very visceral and direct. (This, in addition to the approach to color, is one of the key features of the Incamminati method, for even a long painting is initially blocked in gesturally.)

5-minute sketch by Chris Brizzard
On Thursdays, we have still life drawing, which is also very demanding in that it is much more difficult than one thinks to draw boxes and elliptical shapes that are convincing.

In addition to this, we have homework assignments where we currently must copy Bridgman and Vanderpoel. We also have to draw from life 3-4 times a week (preferably everyday) and bring our sketchbooks to class every week to show our instructors.

Studio Incamminati is not just a school; it is a community of like-minded people seeking to take their craft to the next level. My feeling is that there are few places in the world today that offer this level of instruction and training."

Still life block-in, by Chris Brizzard

"My drawings "Dorothy" and "Shadows" will be part of the Richeson 75 Figure/Portrait exhibit at the Jack Richeson School of Art & Gallery in Kimberly, WI, from October 20 - December 6, 2014

My drawing "Waiting" won the Allied Artists of America Award for Graphics at the Allied Artists of America's 100th Anniversary Exhibition that was held at the Salmagundi Club in NYC, NY earlier in September."

"Dorothy" by Tanja Gant
Anna Rose Bain:

Finally, to let you know what your state ambassador has been up to... I am posting a picture of my adorable daughter, because I can... ;-) She will be 5 months old this Sunday (October 5)!
Cecelia Joyce... art baby!
My self portrait, "The Wait and the Reward," was awarded 3rd place in the June Boldbrush competition. This piece went viral on Facebook shortly after I made it public. I am so humbled and honored that it received such an overwhelming response!

"The Wait and the Reward", 30x30, oil on linen,
by Anna Rose Bain
Also, my painting, "Sharing Secrets," won 1st place in OPA Summer Online Showcase, and was a finalist in both the August Raymar and Boldbrush competitions.

"Sharing Secrets," 20x16, by Anna Rose Bain

But of course, my daughter is now my favorite model. I don't have as much time to paint anymore, but if I need some inspiration, I have her "pose" for me. :-)

"Cece at 4 months old", 10x8", by Anna Rose Bain

In other news, I am teaching two more 1-day workshops before the end of the year. Info below:

Saturday, October 18* (just a couple spots left!)
Alla Prima Oil Portraits in Color
$165/person (includes model fee)

Saturday, November 22*
Keeping it Fresh: Using Photo References
to Your Best Advantage

$150/person (no model)

*Workshop times: 9:00 AM-4:00 PM
(with one-hour lunch break from 12:00-1:00)

Email me at annarosebain@gmail.com for more information and to reserve your spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment