Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

Artist Spotlight: Lenore Prud'Homme

Lenore Prud'Homme of Houston, TX, is this month's Spotlight Artist. If you would like to be in the spotlight, please email your information to Anna at annarosebain@gmail.com

Artist Biography:

Artist Lenore Prud'Homme
Lenore Prud'Homme is of French and Italian heritage, born in Louisiana, but grew up in Odessa, Texas and claims Texas as her home. She graduated from Permian High School and received a full scholarship in art to the University of Texas in Austin, where she earned a Bachelors of Fine Arts degree in sculpture and drawing. Lenore was the first student at The University of Texas to cast in bronze.  After college, the  well known  sculptor , Charles Umlauf  became her mentor, and in the summer of 1969 she was given one of Mr. Umlauf’s commissions for a bust of the Director of the American Red Cross.

Years of modeling and drawing the human form developed her passion for figurative work and portraits.

Lenore was hired by the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio as a medical illustrator from 1969 – 1973. Four years there exposed her to the inner workings of the human form as well as graphic and scientific illustrations.

After a 33 year marriage,  2 children and numerous philantrophic endeavors as a pioneer in The Woodlands, Texas in the early 80’s, Lenore found an old abandoned farmstead in Round Top, Texas and set about creating  her 3 dimensional canvas called the Outpost @ Cedar Creek Inn. Here she fulfilled a hidden talent for restoration , design and hospitality.

Her efforts have been acknowledged in numerous publications and she has won several awards in the hospitality industry.  Her inn was selected by the number 1 travel book, 1000 Places to See Before You Die. The inn has recently been purchased by Rachel Ashwell of Shabby Chic Couture, and Lenore has set up a studio in Houston, Texas to begin her commissioned portrait work and figurative painting.
She has come full circle and is more passionate than ever about her figure and portrait work.

Interview with Spotlight Artist for May, Lenore Prud'Homme:

1) When and how did you first became seriously interested in art? I started my love of art very early as a child doing paint by number kits of all things, on my bedroom floor. When I had an opportunity to take art classes in school, I was hooked and rather quickly gained a reputation.

2) What is your training, and what medium(s) / subject matter do you work in? I was fortunate to have had a full scholarship in art to The University of Texas in Austin. I wanted to get my degree in painting , but , alas, the department was too avant garde for me and I ended up majoring in sculpture and drawing, hence my love of the figure and portraits. I find myself, this late in life, having the time, now to devote to honing painting skills. My love is oil medium.

3) What do you express in your work? As my work evolves, I am constantly attempting to incorporate the elements that I admire in other artists' works and from study in selective workshops. I am beginning to realize that my portrait style is becoming fresh with a breath of air.

4) What artists/professionals have been your  biggest influences? My greatest admiration is for Sargent and his ilk, who is everyone's paradigm it seems. I am in awe of the works of Schmid.

Gracelyn, by Lenore Prud'Homme
5) What do you do to gain new inspiration for your work? My inspiration , now that I have time to devote to my art, is drawing, drawing and more drawing. Workshops are my interest currently, to learn as much as I can from differing executioners. The model and figure are forever an inspiration.

6) What would you like to be doing with your art ten years from now? Hopefully, 10 years from now, my diligent effort will bring forth a portrait that is second nature to execute to where I can continue to explore possibilites. I hope to have commissions lined up, especially of children.

7) Do you set goals for yourself concerning the making of your art? My goals are to continue to draw and gain a reputation as a fine artist.

8) Are you happy with your job choice as an artist? Do you have any regrets in this career choice or things you would have done differently?  I am realizing that professional artists are some of the happiest people I encounter. Those who are on the journey seem frustrated and must keep searching. I am in the early stage of art as a career, even this late in life, but I finally have the time to give it the attention it demands to reach my goals.

9) Any fun or interesting facts about yourself that you'd like to share? I weave my art into my daily life in many ways: decorating, designing anything, cooking, sewing and dressing.

10) Best piece of advice for other artists?  Draw, draw, draw, work, work, work.


Mary Lou, by Lenore Prud'Homme
Madelyn, by Lenore Prud'Homme

CONTACT THE ARTIST:
LENORE PRUD'HOMME
Phone: 713-899-9401
Email: lenoreprudhomme@gmail.com
Website: http://prudhommefineart.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment